The clerk of a meeting or committee has a vital role in nurturing Quaker process and community. If you are new to clerking or interested in going deeper in your experience of Quaker clerkship, the resources below can help.
Introductory Resources Online
- Role of Quaker Clerk by Abington Monthly Meeting
- Virtual Clerking by Emily Provance of New York Yearly Meeting
- How to Clerk a Quaker Business Meeting by QuakerSpeak, featuring Arthur Larrabee
- Why Quakers Value Process Over Outcome by QuakerSpeak
- Anti-Racist Clerking Screener by Eppchez Yes of the Institutional Assessment Implementation Committee
Recommended Reading from QuakerBooks
- Quaker Process for Friends on the Benches by Mathilda Navias
- Handbook for the Presiding Clerk by David O. Stanfield
- Where Should I Stand (ebook) by Elizabeth Boardman
- Fostering Vital Friends Meetings: A Handbook for Working with Quaker Meetings by Jan Greene and Marty Walton
- A Practical Mysticism: How Quaker Process Opens Us to the Promptings of the Divine (Pendle Hill Pamphlet #453) by Elizabeth Meyer
- Grounded in God: Listening Hearts Discernment for Group Deliberations (Revised Edition) by R.Taylor McLean, Suzanne G. Farnham, Stephanie A Hull
- For children: Approved! A Story about Quaker Meeting for Business by Nancy Haines
Interviews with Clerks
Clerking Workshop Opportunities
- FGC Gathering virtual workshop: Clerking with Joy and Confidence with Steve Mohlke
This workshop will focus on all aspects, both theoretical and practical, of being a presiding clerk of a Friends meeting or committee. There will be handouts and opportunities for experience sharing. Most work will be done in a whole group setting. There will be a suggested $10 materials charge. Learn more about the workshop here.
Early Registration for the FGC Gathering will open online on April 15th through 29th. Friends who want to participate in this workshop are encouraged to register as early as possible.
- Pendle Hill in Wallingford, PA offers an annual clerking workshop each November, Friends Decision-Making and Clerking: Participating in Meetings for Business with Joy and Confidence. The 2020 workshop was held on Zoom. Details for this year's workshop will be released on Pendle Hill's website in the coming months. View the information for last year's workshop here.
- Powell House has also offered clerking workshops, including this past gathering in 2019.
This resource was created for the March 2021 Vital Friends eNewsletter.